Reflection paper: Informative Review

Reflection Paper

The genre of this article is encyclopedia article because I was presenting established knowledge neutrally. The audience of encyclopedia is usually general public. In my article, I have tried to keep my stance neutral as best as I can since it’s a informative review.

Informative review is a report that people write after reading an informative article, paper, journal and so on. The purpose of writing an informative review is to summarize the ideas and information in the article without taking a side, and adding something new to open readers’ minds.

The professional fields of the audiences are very important. When the readers have the same field as the field of writing, there are so many basic ideas can be skipped. If most audiences are layman, any basic idea should be clearly stated.

I used adaptive measures in my article. After every informative quote I would explain all the professional terms in the sentence in simple words and rephrase that quote.

I wrote a scarily fake news in the first paragraph to draw audience’s attention and explained why the news must be fake.

The motivation of writing an article about clone is to remind my readers that human cloning might happen any time soon, there are too many ethical issues should be thought through before the invention of human cloning.

I chose that image to help audience sense that this article is about clone strait forward.

One of my quotes describes how human cloning works, and why it cannot be done by today’s technology. There are so many people get to know human cloning by watching SCI-FI movies, and there are so many wrong concepts in SCI-FI movies.

For my first draft, I didn’t write any positive aspects about human cloning, which made me see that my article is taking a side. After peer review, I rewrite my article. I added two positive points into my article, and how these positive side could cause side-effects.

I read three articles from New York Times to understand basic ideas of the process and difference between different types of cloning, two videos from YouTube to see why any news about human cloning is fake and how Dolly the sheep happened, and one article from a government site to support those points I mentioned.

I quote some basic ideas about cloning from “Savulescu_Ethics of Cloning” because professional papers are reliable sources. It helps me explain how reproductive cloning works, so when I can explain why human cloning cannot be done today it becomes easier for readers to understand.

English is not my first language. I used to look strange words up every time I saw them until someday I found out that not all the words can be translated accurately, and they might mean differently in contexts. So, I now just find the definition, and try to see what it means in the particular article.

One of the claims I made was: “We don’t even have the technology to clone human so far.” I quoted from National Human Genome Research Institute’s Fact sheets of Clone (n.d., p.1) to support my claim: “From a technical perspective, cloning humans and other primates is more difficult than in other mammals. One reason is that two proteins essential to cell division, known as spindle proteins, are located very close to the chromosomes in primate eggs. Consequently, removal of the egg’s nucleus to make room for the donor nucleus also removes the spindle proteins, interfering with cell division. In other mammals, such as cats, rabbits and mice, the two spindle proteins are spread throughout the egg. So, removal of the egg’s nucleus does not result in loss of spindle proteins. In addition, some dyes and the ultraviolet light used to remove the egg’s nucleus can damage the primate cell and prevent it from growing.”